Sunday, July 02, 2006

shrimp, pickles, and dancing

Saturday was a semi-slow day. We have very few volunteers around, which allowed for a little bit of a break. Because there was so few volunteers, Chris our cook, made us all sorts of seafood for dinner. We had catfish, shrimp, shrimp scampi, hush puppies, and coleslaw. It was a great meal. I tell you, the shrimp they have here isn’t anything like the shrimp (bait) they serve in WI.


For the evening I was able to get away with Justin and Daniel (2 volunteers from AL), Chris our cook, and a Lakeshore resident and we went to the crab festival in Bay St. Louis. I tell you, that is quite the event. They got crab roulette (I don’t know what it’s really called, but it is where crabs crawl off the board and whatever number they crawled off at is the winning number kind of like roulette.) People get really into it. They have a ton of crabs and shrimp and other things that I am not used to seeing for food at fairs, and more things are fried than I knew you could fry (though they don’t have the fried cheese curds, which still tops my list). We rode a couple of rides, I ate my first fried pickles (that was interesting), and we danced/watched others dance.

It was a great day after the busyness of the week. And as for how I am getting used to the southern culture…I am still trying to get use to some of the phrases. I’m sure there are times when someone uses a phrase that I don’t understand and I stand there with a confused look on my face. It’s different than WI, but I really kind of like it here.

On a side note:

This is a picture of the water that had come in recently in glass beer bottles from the Miller brewing company. I will admit at first it was weird to see people walking around drinking out of these 32 oz. beer bottles.

No comments: