Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Random thoughts...Sin, confession

“if I am not confessing sin I am confessing sinlessness. And we know that does not happen.” Mark Lauterbach

Lately I have been giving some thought to the topics of sin and confession. I am trying to remind myself that the “little” sins (sins we as humans might not deem as bad as murder, stealing, adultery, etc) are just as terrible in the sight of God and that there is no reason for me to take these “little” sins, or any sin, lightly. Jesus death on the cross for sins that he had not done, but that we may be saved should show the vileness of all sin.

Confession, I must remind myself, is not to be taken lightly either. “Confession to God is not merely admitting our sin as real but also rejecting our sin as repulsive.” (John Piper). If I find myself refraining from confession I need to ask myself what is going on. Is it because I am without sin? That’s foolishness! 1 John 1:8 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." Or is it because I fail to see the vileness of sin? Or some other reason?

No comments: