Monday, November 27, 2006

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

Over the past several months I have become acquainted with this William Cowper hymn and it has become very precious to me. The hymn, rich in theology, contains a great picture of the sovereignty of God. I am reminded of what John Piper said at the 2005 Desiring God conference "...evil and suffering are not ultimate. God is. Satan, the lover of evil and suffering, is not sovereign. God is" I am grateful (beyond what my weak words can describe) that we have a sovereign God, who is sovereign over all things.

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

-William Cowper

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this hymn! One of my favorites. Have you heard the Sovereign Grace remix of it?? It's really great.

Jamie Dunbar said...

I have the Sovereign grace cd with this song on it, I'll agree it's pretty great

Becca said...

haha sarah put pretty much exactly what I was going to. :-) Great song!

Joshua A. Hitchcock said...

Jamie, I saw your comment on my post on Price's article. As a college student in the Georgia Baptist Convention I am astonished at the lack of understanding of supposedly educated men. I am also amazed that these men seem to be more focused on causing division than striving for unity within the church. Though all of this seems like persecution for those of us who are reformed, God WILL cause this to work for the good of those who love God, who are called according to HIS purpose. I am confident of that. Thank you for the comments and God Bless you as you continue to faithfully serve Christ as you serve others! Are you also a college student? Are you on facebook?