Monday, August 20, 2007

Summer's Failure

Well I had great intentions of reading a few books this summer that I have been desiring to read for some time. Though...I only got to one of those (The Holiness of God by RC Sproul). This summer, however, was not all wasted to time on facebook, pacman, and reading blogs. Several other books were either brought to my attention or just looked interesting so I read them instead. This summer included A Taste of Heaven by RC Sproul, The Expository Genius of John Calvin by Steve Lawson, The Truth of the Cross by RC Sproul, The Purity Principle by Randy Alcorn, Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye by Carolyn McCulley, Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney, Stop Dating the Church by Joshua Harris, The Dangerous Journey by Oliver Hunkin, Family Worship by Don Whitney, Life As a Vapor by John Piper, and Come Back Barbara by C. John Miller.


From this list I cannot pick a favorite, however, Feminine Appeal was a great book and probably has the biggest effect on me. It helped to make me think more about becoming a godly woman and while it was directed more toward a married woman it was a great discipleship tool. Having been away from Wisconsin and the women who have spent nearly 6 years investing in and discipling me it was a great tool for me to continue to learn characteristics of being a godly woman.


So while I failed at completing the books on my summer reading list, it's been great to be immersed in doctrinally sound and challenging books even if they weren't on my summer reading list. I recommend all these books for reading, even The Dangerous Journey – yes I know it's a children's book...but it's a great overview of John Buyan's Pilgrim's Progress...which I intend to read at some point in the near future.

No comments: