Saturday, September 15, 2007

sin - an opportunity for praise

I was speaking with a friend a few days ago on the topic of sin. It is not a surprise, I'm a sinner - saved by grace. But as I struggle with sin, the thing I struggle with the most is forgiveness. I know in my mind that as a believer if I sin and then repent, I am forgiven. I think the best way to describe what I am thinking and feeling is that I don't always fully believe that I am forgiven. The advice I was given was to turn to the scriptures. Expanding on this I was to focus on the forgiveness, focus on praising God that He would forgive even that sin.


The past few days I've been considering the opportunity to praise God after I sin and turn to him in repentance. How can I praise him and what specifically should I praise him for. Here's a few of those things, I'm sure I could list all his divine attributes and reasons why I am thankful he is divine and possesses those attributes, I could list all he's done for me and times I've been forgiven – his attributes and times I've experience his forgiveness are great and important to praise and be thankful for. But as a part of the advice I was given to turn to the scriptures, I've done just that. Here several reasons (though not an exhaustive list) that I am thankful and praise God that are specifically noted in scripture. I figure this gives me a great place to start giving God the glory.


Praise him for the fact that God even grants us forgiveness.
1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


Praise God for sending His Son as a propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.


Praise Christ who left his place in heaven to come to earth to die for sinners who would believe, for the only way one is saved is by the shedding of blood and a sacrifice.
Heb 9:22 - Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.


Praise God for He canceled out debt against him that we could never repay, through the death of Christ.
Col 2:13-15 - And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him


Praise Him that we can come to him when we fail.
Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah


Praise Him that he continues to sanctify us.
1 Thess 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.


Praise Him that when we are tempted it is not beyond what we can bear and that he provides a way out.
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.


Praise Him that He is sovereign. He knows what we will do, the choices we will make and yet he grants us forgiveness, grace, mercy.

No comments: