Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Whole Terrain of Scripture

I was reading last night before I went to bed from Reflections of Jonathan Edwards 300 years later a book I purchased from Desiring God Ministries. As I read I came across a couple of convicting paragraphs written by John Piper:
How many of us have a plan for growing in our grasp of the whole terrain of Scripture? Don't most of us use the Bible as a source for getting sermons and devotionals and personal devotional help? But do we labor over the Scripture in such a way that we can plainly see that today we understand something in it that we did not understand yesterday?

I fear that many of us work at reading books on theology and church life with a view to growing, but have no plan and no sustained efforts to move steadily and constantly forward in our understanding of the Bible. Edwards's second exhortation is, this ought not be so. Study the Bible so steadily and constantly and frequently that you can clearly perceive yourself to grow in them.

No comments: