Monday, March 10, 2008

Grace to an ill-deserving sinner

When I reflect on the past 25 years and see how the graceful and merciful the Lord has been to me I cannot help but drop to my knees in thanksgiving and praise. I see his mighty work in the common grace that was shown to me when I was nothing besides an enemy of God. He provided food to eat, a place to stay, clothing, school, rain and sunshine, and a multitude of other things though I was no where near of deserving it.


He extended to me saving grace when he opened my blind eyes and gave me a heart that desired to please, to worship Him. Up to that point I lived only for myself, for my own pleasures, and my own gain. Never did I think about really worshiping God as creator of all things and savior of the world. But the Lord moved in my heart. The creator of the world, God himself, chose by no good measure on my part to show mercy on this ill deserving sinner. But the punishment I so deserve is eternal separation from God, eternal punishment – hell, damnation. There is nothing I can to here on earth to pay for the sins I've committed. No good deed would ever get me to heaven. But the God who is rich in mercy sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to be the payment for my my sins that were against the creator. Through Christ's death on the cross, my sins were paid for and forgiven. Through that forgiveness I've been brought into a right relationship with God.


I wish I could say every moment I'm doing great and making steps that strive to grow in Christ. There are times I am plain rebellious. But praise the Lord, He convicts me of that sin, helps me fight temptations and flee from sin at other times, and helps me to grow even though I still sometimes choose to sin against him.

No comments: