Thursday, September 21, 2006

Edwards Resolutions

I've been reading through John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" and have been challenged and encouraged. In one of the first chapters Piper makes reference to Jonathan Edwards Resolutions by listing just a couple. These resolutions were written by Edwards in his early twenties to "intensify his life for the glory of God." I found for myself what his other resolutions were and as I was reading I was blown away. There are 70 resolutions listed and each one leaves me with something to think about, but then I am challenged to consider, What am I doing to "intensify my life for the glory of God"?. Here's a few of the resolutions to ponder.

5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.
6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.
17. Resolved, that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.
29. Resolved, never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it; nor that as a confession, which I cannot hope God will accept.
30. Resolved, to strive to my utmost every week to be brought higher in religion, and to a higher exercise of grace, than I was the week before.
37. Resolved, to inquire every night, as I am going to bed, wherein I have been negligent,- what sin I have committed,-and wherein I have denied myself;-also at the end of every week, month and year.
40. Resolved, to inquire every night, before I go to bed, whether I have acted in the best way I possibly could, with respect to eating and drinking.
41. Resolved, to ask myself, at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possibly, in any respect, have done better.

No comments: