Sunday, September 24, 2006

Single passion

Continuing my thoughts on John Piper's book "Don't Waste Your Life," I am forced to consider what my single passion is. Piper pleads with his readers to "Desire that you life count for something great! Long for your life to have eternal significance. Want this! Don't coast through life without a passion."

Piper helps us to think about what that passion might be by giving examples of what other people's one passion is. He makes reference to Louie Giglio's statement in the "268 Declaration". The first statement says, "Because I was created by God and for His glory, I will magnify Him as I respond to His great love. My desire is to make knowing and enjoying God the passionate pursuit of my life."

John Piper's passion is basically the mission statement for him and the church he serves. "We exist to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all the things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ."

The apostle Paul's one passion: "I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified (1 Corinthians 2:2).

So that leaves me with the question, what is my one passion and how do I articulate it? What is my one passion that will most glorify and magnify God?

"But whatever you do, find the God-centered, Christ-exalting, Bible-saturated passion of your life, and find your way to say it and live for it and die for it." - Don't Wate You Life pg. 47

No comments: