Saturday, August 29, 2009

Katrina...four years later

I've been reflecting a lot today on the anniversary of when Hurricane Katrina slammed into the gulf coast affecting the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. People were displaced by the storm, lives were lost, and thousands of homes and businesses destroyed. I was in Wisconsin when Katrina made landfall beginning my last year of college. And never in a million years did I think I would find myself on the gulf coast of Mississippi four years later.

I shared my journey to Lakeshore back in January this year in 5 blog posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I've seen God do amazing things here and in my life in the past four years. I could talk all day on things I've learned and experienced while in Lakeshore, but I want to highlight just a few things....
  • Cajun cooking is much better than northern food
  • God is Sovereign over all things, even over storms that bring destruction.
  • God works in the most mysterious ways.
  • When you think you have it all together and everything planned out, God's will will be made evident, often with plans you never thought of.
  • God uses the most unlikely of people to do huge tasks. Bringing glory to Himself.
  • Though the storm affected everyone on the gulf coast, Katrina also has impacted and changed the lives of many who've come to the coast to help in relief, recovery, and rebuilding efforts - including mine. I never though something so far away from me at the time could have any impact on me.
  • God's given me friends, some who are as close to me as family could be. Thanks guys.

No comments: